Organizing is the process of establishing orderly uses for all resources within the management system.
Here, Orderly signifies the emphasis on the attainment of management system objectives and assist managers not only in making objectives apparent but in clarifying which resources will be used to attain them.
IMPORTANCE OF ORGANIZING:
The organizing function is extremely important to the management system because it is the primary mechanism mangers use to activate plans.
Organizing creates and maintains relationships between all organizational resources by indicating which resources are to be used for specified activities and when,where, and how they are to be used.
A thorough organizing efforts helps managers to minimize costly weaknesses, such as duplication of effort and idle organizational resources.
If there were to be an organizing department, it’s responsibilities will include:
- Reorganization plans that make the management system more effective and efficient.
- Plans to improve managerial skills to fit current management system Needs.
- An advantageous Organizational climate within the Management System.
Henri Fayol developed 16 general guidelines for organizing resources:
- Judiciously prepare and execute the operating plan.
- Organize the human and material facets so that they are consistent with objectives, resources and requirements of the concern.
- Establish a single component, energetic guiding authority i.e. a Formal Management Structure.
- Co-ordinate all activities and efforts.
- Formulate clear, distinct and precise decisions.
- Arrange for efficient selection so that each department is headed by a component, energetic manager and all employees are placed where they can render the greatest service.
- Define duties.
- Encourage initiative and responsibility.
- Offer fair and suitable rewards for services rendered.
- Make use of sanctions against faults and errors.
- Maintain discipline.
- Ensure that individual interests are consistent with the general interests of the organization.
- Recognize the Unity of Command.
- Promote both material and human coordination.
- Insitute and Effect Controls.
- Avoid regulations, red tape and (excessive) paper work.
5 Step Organizing Process:
- Reflect on Plans and Objectives.
- Establish major Tasks.
- Divide major tasks into subtasks
- Allocate resources and directives for subtasks.
- Evaluate the results of implemented organizing strategy.
13 thoughts on “ORGANIZING – 16 General guidelines by Henri Fayol”
In Fayol’s guidelines What is the meaning of “Avoid regulations, red tape and (excessive) paper work.”
It means to avoid unnecessary bureaucracy to come in the way of operational efficiency.
Feel free to contact for any further clarifications.
what is the meaning of ” judiciously prepare and execute the operating plan ?.
Mr. MANOJ ONKAR,
Thank you for your replay, I confuse really when I read this statement “Avoid regulations, red tape and (excessive) paper work” and my confuse is when could this statement valid i.e. during establishing the organization at beginning or during my job in any organization.
To clear my question if I’m working in company as manager shall I avoid the regulations, red tape and (excessive) paper work during my work? (I think not because I should follow the regulations) or during my job as a manager when I put new roles or something like this I should regulations, red tape and (excessive) paper work?
Please can you explain this statement or can you send any source which clear explain this statement.
You have to look at what regulations are helping the work and what are becoming unnecessary obstacles in the work,without significant value add, and look for reducing the obstacles. Yes, if you are a middle level manager, you will have to get alignment of your senior managers in making changes, but if you will have to take alignment of the seniors for the same.
Similarly look at the paper work, which is really useful and is there something which has negligible value add.
Hope this clarification is useful.
Thank you for your clarification.
thanks for agreat research
im confused about this..can you xplain what does it mean?..1. The scalar principle creates so much red tape and slows down activity to the point that it creates more problems than it solve…
God time is the best
How nice method.that’s really surprise me
more knowledgement and information i get ..
I like very much this subject.from Africa Tanzania.
would like to thank the management of this web site for the benefits that we have gained through the systematic information that we have extracted related to our masters degree course of mbm. i remain. REV. REY OYAN FABE, PHILIPPINES.