As per Theory U by Dr. Otto Scharmer and the various related conversations, there are 3 key transformations that are critical for new kind of leadership to show up in organizations and in society.
- Transforming Perception: Sensing
- Transforming Self & Will: Presencing
- Transforming Action: Realizing & Fulfilling
The world of Perceptions have 3 key dimensions that one has to deal with initially and the ofcourse some more dimensions have to be addressed.
- Transforming Perception about Others and Situation: If we continue to see others and the situation from the old paradigm, then not much new quality of thinking will show up.
- Transforming Perception about Ourselves: Similarly one needs a new view of oneself to be able to break the current paradigm of relationship that one has with life and self.
- Transforming Other’s Perception about Us: Since results are produced inside of relationships it is important that we transform how others perceive us that would lead to how they respond to us and collaborating with us.
Transforming the world of perception requires Suspending the voice of judgement and opinions about self, situation and others. And redirecting our cynicism with curiosity, compassion and courage.
Keeping in mind that producing results itself can be seen at multiple levels.
The visible level is the world of results.
The layer below is what most people understand – that results are causing by efforts. Either your efforts or other’s efforts. Sometimes efforts (action) including inaction.
The layer which most people don’t explore is what influences action.
Action is influenced by Perception. The thought world. The paradigm or model of thinking.
Very rarely do people explore what is influencing the human performance at the core.
The Internal State.
The internal state is 3 things: 1. INTENTION 2. ATTENTION 3. PRESENCE
Intention: Are you operating from an Ego Intention or an Eco Intention?
Attention: Do you have your attention on you Intention or all the distractions?
Presence: Presence = Present + Sensing. How present you are in the NOW? and How are you practicing deep listening, sensing and sense-making.
TRANSFORMING SELF & WILL:
Transforming Self includes Letting Go of the Past and Letting come the Future.
Giving up Fear and Operating with Courage.
Not waiting for perfect ideas, but being in the game of Learning by Doing.
Crystallizing Ideas by communicating, deep listening, sensing and sense-making.
Prototyping : Testing Hypothesis and continually iterating.
Institutionalizing: Scaling up, Involving more stakeholders, creating systems and evolving.
These are the starting principles on which we design and deliver the leadership and change management interventions for corporates and organizations.